ISL Issues COVID-19 Medical Protocol For League Season II In A Budapest Bubble
The International Swimming League – ISL – has issued a comprehensive (Medical) Prevention and Intervention Protocol that makes clear that athletes will live in a bubble of training location, competition pool/venue, hotel and transport between all those during the five weeks of Season II of the league next month in October.
Athlete safety was set as a priority for the ISL from the starting gun and ISL believes that, despite the challenges presented by the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, provisions are now in place to deliver “a very low” probability of infection. In its protocol, the ISL states:
“Due to the Protocol’s epidemiological provisions, the probability of a COVID-19 infection is very low within this Bubble.”
Season II of the League will unfold primarily ing Budapest for five weeks from October 16. A training camp will be interspersed by race weekend up to the semi-finals stage of the League. The final will then take place in Tokyo. Organisers noted:
“ISL is committed to offering a safe environment to all athletes and staff. The medical protocol developed with one of the best and renowned international scientific teams, for this year’s only major competition to feature the world’s best swimmers, is now available for consultation.”
The ISL Protocol coincides with concerns that federations are “bullying” swimmers into bypassing Season II of the League, and a statement from Swimming Canada noting that it held a meeting with athletes to pass on information about safety matters and long-term welfare, athletic and general health, of athletes, but had not mandated whether swimmers can or cannot attend the ISL event in Budapest.
IN FULL: ISL prevention and intervention protocol
Sections and EXTRACTS
NTERNATIONAL SWIMMING LEAGUE PREVENTION- AND INTERVENTION PROTOCOL
- Bubble: an umbrella term for the Training Location, the Competition Venue, the Hotel and the buses involved in the transportation of the Teams. Due to the Protocol’s epidemiological provisions, the probability of a COVID-19 infection is very low within this Bubble;
- CMO: Chief Medical Officer, the head of the Medical Team;
- COVID-19: an infection and disease caused by the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2;
- COVID Marshal: a Hungarian healthcare or other professional appointed by the Hosting
Committee, who attended an epidemiologic training or briefing held by the epidemiologic experts of the Sem-
melweis University, and who – as part of the Medical Team – are responsible for enforcement of this Protocol.
- Team: a formation of Competitors established in line with the rules of the Tournament;
- Training Location: Duna Arena and Dagály Thermal Bath and Swimming Pool;
- Healthcare Provider: a Hungarian or foreign healthcare staff member, a physician or physio- therapist with a
qualification in healthcare;
- Deputy CMO: The deputy of the CMO;
- ISL: International Swimming League;
- ISL’s Hungarian Representative: a member or an agent of ISL’s Hungarian Hosting Committee;
- Epidemiological isolation: isolation of communicable disease patients from healthy population at the person’s
residence or in an in-patient healthcare institute;
- Quarantine: an epidemiological monitoring process, wherein, to prevent any transmission of COVID-19 infection,
persons not showing symptoms but potentially infected are isolated or the movement of such persons is restricted at their place of (temporary) residence or in an in-patient healthcare institute for the period until lack of COVID-19 infection is proven; …
II. GENERAL PROVISIONS CONCERNING THE TOURNAMENT
III. STRATEGIC ELEMENTS OF THE PREVENTION OF THE SPREAD OF COVID-19
IV. PROTOCOL BEFORE ENTRY IN THE COUNTRY
V. PROTOCOL UPON ENTRY IN THE COUNTRY
VI. PROTOCOL REGARDING THE HOTEL:
- The Hotel is reserved exclusively for Participants.
- Hotel Staff shall also be subjected to the SARS-CoV-2 PCR tests under Clause XI. 9-10.
- The processes concerning cleaning, laundry and meals shall be conducted using a protocol approved by the
Hotel’s Certified Expert and SU’s Epidemiology Expert.
- Use of the Hotel rooms is governed by the protocol prepared by SU’s Epidemiology Expert.
- The Hotel rooms are fitted with the following hygiene tools:
a) a) disinfectant wipes; b) surface-disinfectants; c) hand sanitizers;
- At the Hotel’s access points, a mandatory pre-triage check will be conducted as per Clause X. of the Protocol.
- The exclusive accommodation of the Foreign Participant and the person specified in Section I. 15.
b) and c) is the Hotel. Foreign Competitors will stay in single rooms, while Foreign Participants – other than Competitors and a person specified in Section I. 15. b) and c) who is not a Hungarian Competitor will be accommodated in a single or double room.
- Meals are strictly scheduled, and persons are seated apart from each other to comply with the rules of social distancing.
- The Hotel’s room service provides extra supplies, e.g. snacks, energy bars and other competitor- specific supplements.
VII. PROTOCOL DURING THE STAY IN HUNGARY
VIII. PROTOCOL REGARDING TRAVEL
- Use of hand-sanitizers is mandatory upon boarding the bus.
- On the bus, persons shall observe the rules of social distancing.
- Seats around the driver shall be kept unoccupied.
- On the bus, everyone must wear face masks, including the driver.
- Following each trip, the driver must disinfect the passenger area of the bus as per the protocol
prepared and approved by the SU.
- Each Team will have its own designated bus during the Tournament.
IX. PROTOCOLS OF TRAINING AND COMPETITION VENUES
X. PRE-TRIAGE CHECK
XI. SARS-CoV-2 PCR TEST PROTOCOL
XII. PROCEDURES TO FOLLOW FOR POSITIVE SARS-CoV-2 PCR TESTS
XIII. PROCEDURES CONCERNING CLOSE CONTACTS
XV. HEALTHCARE PROVIDER’S PROTOCOL
XIV. PROTOCOL CONCERNING CONDUCT AND USE OF PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT